Welcome to the Fundamentals of IEC 61850 Online Training Programme
We are delighted to bring you this Fundamentals of IEC 61850 online training programme. This 12-week community-based learning event has been developed in collaboration with 20+ IEC 61850 specialists from across the European smart grid sector, to ensure that your engineers have all the theoretical and practical knowledge they need to embark on their IEC 61850 journey.
IEC 61850 is far more than a communication protocol. It is an engineering philosophy and a common language for all those working with digital substation technology. As the use of IEC 61850 becomes business-as-usual for substation automation, it is essential for the technicians, design specialists and specification engineers involved to have a solid grounding in the standard.
Through 12 x 90-minute modules delivered over 12 weeks, this programme provides a thorough, up-to-date understanding of IEC 61850. Each module is comprised of a speaker-led presentation, group problem solving exercise, report back and Q&A, and 10-question quiz. Participants accumulate points during the course of the 12 weeks and take a final exam to achieve CPD certification.
The programme is overseen by Christoph Brunner, Convenor of TC57 WG10, supported by the IEC, and certified by the CPD. Places are strictly limited to 30 to ensure an interactive learning environment.
Programme Themes Include
- CORE CONCEPTS of IEC 61850 as well as the history and business case that led to its development
- ENGINEERING AND CONFIGURATION of IEC 61850 systems according to the guidelines laid out in the standard
- TESTING IEC 61850 systems using the latest testing tools and equipment as well as an introduction to cybersecurity for IEC 61850 systems
Programme Format Includes
- PROGRAMME: 12 x 90-min weekly modules every Thursday afternoon
- MODULES: Speaker presentation, practical problem-solving exercise, Q&A
- CERTIFICATION: Weekly 10-question quiz plus final exam to achieve CPD certification
Testimonials from our Past IEC 61850 Events
“Fantastic virtual platform and great opportunity to get to know the latest and greatest from utilities and vendors regarding IEC 61850.”
Birkir Heimisson, Specialist in Digital substation – Landsnet
“As usual high-quality presentations and relevant topics.”
Anders Johnsson, Power system specialist – Vattenfall Eldistribution
“In my opinion this is the best industrial conference about smart grid and IEC 61850.”
Andrea Bonetti, Senior Specialist – Megger Sweden